Saturday, January 1, 2011

Silky Blankies

Years ago, one of the mom's I babysit for was pregnant with #2 (Emma, now 8), and while I was there one afternoon watching her oldest (Ian, now 10) she spent the day making a silky blankie for her new arrival. My crafty brain took notes on how she put it together and shortly thereafter I made a trip to the fabric store and was trying to make them myself. I've made a number of them over the years for baby shower gifts and it warms my heart every time I see one that's ragged and used and made a favorite by a little one.


I'm always very particular about picking fabrics and tend to spend hours at Jenny's Fabrics combing the discount aisle to find just the right fabrics to pair together to make my creations. My recent journey to Jenny's resulted in a lot of pink favorites, so I'll be stocking up on baby girl gifts. Next time I'll hopefully find some winners that will be better suited for baby boys.



The finished silky blankie has a super soft satiny back and four patches of fuzzy flannel in the front. I like to make them on the larger size (full blanket is about 20" square) so that they can snuggle with them and love them into their pre-school years.



I went a little overboard with supplies this time, buying enough to probably make about 20 blankies in two different color schemes, so I made sure to get a few through the assembly line out the gate and justify the upfront expense. 6 down, 14 to go! Let's hope my sewing machine and I stay friends for most of 2011 and perhaps I'll have a sewing project to share each month!

No comments:

Post a Comment